With a new, multi-million dollar purpose-built facility opening in early 2019, Squamish Montessori Elementary School (SMES) is offering a career-defining opportunity for a visionary Head of School to lead the school into the next stage of educational and operational excellence. SMES is an independent school established in 2011 with a vibrant community of dedicated teachers and parents, uniquely situated in beautiful Squamish, British Columbia.
As the successful candidate, you will be dedicated to the vision of the school, guided by the school’s mission statement. You will bring inspiration to the role and provide clear leadership while fostering a collaborative school community.
Your outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and experience and knowledge of the administrative and legal requirements of heading a school will ease your transition into the position. Exceeding the school community’s expectations, you will draw on your extensive knowledge of and experience with school leadership best practices. You will co-create and maintain a loving and nurturing environment for the children of SMES. Working closely with a well-established administrative team, you will oversee organizational systems, marketing, and financial operations.
Critical to the role is a clear understanding of the Montessori philosophy and method, as well as an ability to communicate and share it with others, including parents, prospective parents, the school community, and the community at large.
Squamish, Canada’s Outdoor Recreation Capital
Situated between Vancouver and Whistler, at the head of Howe Sound nestled amid breathtaking mountains, Squamish redefines the essence of work, life, learning, and play. We are an active, energetic, and artistic community deeply connected to our extraordinary landscape and the adventures it provides. We are creative, innovative, entrepreneurial and proud of our heritage and the lifestyle that sets our town apart from the rest.
Leadership and Managing Performance:
Education and Curriculum:
- Maintain and facilitate expansion of a safe, healthy, and welcoming Montessori setting and oversee programs and activities to engage and educate all students.
- Develop and maintain open lines of communication with diverse faculty, parents, children, and the administrative team.
- Support a qualified team of Montessori educators to fulfill our mission.
- Network with local community members to promote the school’s presence and significance.
- Ensure full compliance with school policies as well as provincial regulations and requirements.
- Uphold AMI standards and set the example by consistently modeling professional leadership, management, and instructional skills while interacting with others.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate faculty by completing performance appraisals. Develop individualized goals for faculty professional growth and development, as well as supervise the monitoring and evaluation of goal accomplishment.
- Manage the balance sheet for a multi-million dollar business. Candidate must have a track record for strong financial performance and possess the ability to analyze and recommend strategies to meet monthly and annual budgets.
- Continually seek ways to manage and reduce expenses without sacrificing quality or service; balances priorities related to financial responsibility.
- Work closely with the Director of Education to reach planned enrollment targets while ensuring student candidate’s needs fit the culture of the school.
- Expertise in not-for-profit/independent school governance and experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Ensure successful implementation of approved Montessori curriculum by ensuring quality educational programs.
- Understand and commit to the development and maintenance of extra-curricular activities.
- Practice effective counseling and advising of students and parents while fostering a safe learning environment.
- Experience in Montessori level transitions protocols, benchmarking, and individualized planning for advanced students.
- Emphasize student’s achievements and create an environment that nurtures and promotes children’s development and well-being (mission driven).
- Knowledge and experience in student progress reports, rubrics, and disseminating beginning of the year and end of the year student data.
- Knowledge and experience in team processes for advancing Montessori Learner Outcomes.
- Ensure all environments are maintained safely, in an organized manner, and beautifully to meet high quality standards.
Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) from an accredited college/university preferably in an educational field, combined with 5 or more years’ experience in a senior leadership role within a school environment (preferably Montessori).
- Able to inspire and motivate
- Knowledge and experience in effective communication protocols
- Excellent, reflective listener
- Possesses an understanding of not for profit structure and life cycles
- Able to create a plan and provide focus, but remain flexible
- Able and willing to work hours beyond the required work day when needed
- Experience and/or the desire to network with other Montessori and Independent School leaders
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health benefit package
- Generous paid vacation
- 50% tuition discount for children
How to Apply:
Please send your letter of interest and résumé to: email@example.com
. The posting will remain open until the position is filled.